Wednesday, April 2, 2008

#2 A gift for a friend but never given.


I've bought this bracelet for a friend of mine, after knowing her predicament. It was meant to be a lucky charm, when she's all alone in Hong Kong, fighting with the bad.
As I was choosing the bracelet, I fell in love with it. I really like the bracelet a lot. I'd buy one for myself if my budget allows, but sadly no.
I was supposed to meet my friend yesterday for dinner and I'll give it to her. But I didn't get the chance as she was really busy last night. I could have find ways to pass it to her but I did not. I decided to keep it for myself.

Dissonance sets in.

I've tried telling myself (right until now as I'm typing this) maybe it's not fated. We've agreed to meet yesterday but yet she's the one who can't make it. There's nothing wrong for me to keep the bracelet for myself. It's perfectly alright.
There I go, this obviously is cognitive dissonance. I've tried reducing the dissonance by changing cognition. I tried to change my mindset to make myself feels better.

I could have change my behaviour.
By getting her address in Hong Kong and send it to her.

Or I'll add consonant cognition by telling myself that the bracelet will suit me more in terms of my dressing. It will of more use to me than to her.

Maybe, you guys can tell me what I should do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha....in a twist of luck (or whatever you wanna call it), it seems that the bracelet is bought for yourself after all. Like you emphasized, it wasn't who who deliberately made an excuse for not giving her the bracelet you were unwilling to give, but instead she couldn't make it for the outing.

And since that's the case, i believe it actually increased your importance of consonant cognition as in you decided it own the bracelet eventually. Or maybe it's just your fate. Lol...

Leslie said...

First of all, you’ve selected the bracelet yourself, because you like it. However, there is no guarantee that your friend would like the same bracelet. Secondly, you are the one that paid for the bracelet; therefore it rightfully belongs to you, not your friend. Thirdly, she’s the one that can’t make it for the dinner, so you shouldn’t be too harsh on yourself either. In my opinion, you’ve ultimately bought what you like for yourself. Whether to give it to your friend is up to you, there’s no right or wrong, it’s just a matter of choice.

jessica said...

Dear CY and Leslie,
I had changed my behaviour, not by sending the bracelet to my friend, but by getting a refund.
This was done so by adding consonant cognition that with the refund, I can get things I need more. Better than having a bracelet sitting around, not knowing what to do with it. =)